Epoxy flooring is a type of surface coat that it used primarily in industrial spaces where high performance, flat surfaces are required for optimal efficiency. The coating is most commonly applied onto cementitious surfaces to provide a smooth surface that can easily carry and support heavy industrial loads. On many sites and commercial projects, epoxy flooring is relied on to maintain a safe and clean environment that protects both workers, their equipment and the organisation’s stock.
Preparing to use epoxy flooring
The coating can only be applied to a surface that is both porous and clean so that it can adhere correctly. It may not bond correctly to concrete that is sealed, polished or hasn’t been fully cured. Prior to using epoxy flooring, all surface cracks, chips and grease need to be removed.
If the surface is older, then it should be tested to see if there are any pre-existing coats there that have been applied before. In order to test to see if a sealant has been used, pour water onto the surface and watch to see if it soaks in. If the water beads on the cement rather than seeping into it, this means it has been sealed and is not ready to have a coating applied to it.
Before application can begin you need to ensure that the temperature is adequate and follow the instructions given by the manufacturer. Temperatures that aren’t ideal can cause peeling and bubbling to occur in the coat. Epoxy flooring is a two-part solution and need to be mixed then applied in quick succession before hardening occurs.
Formulas for epoxy flooring
Some surfaces may require you to use a primer and finishing coat in order to get the desired result. The prime can be applied just like a coat of paint and should be allowed to sit for a few hours before the next stage.
The apply it, cover the surface with a layer of water and then spread it around with a roller pin attached to a pole. You should spread it into a thin layer over the entire surface.
Allow the solution to dry and then you can put on the second coat. The finish should be applied the same way except without any water.
The advantages of epoxy flooring
This kind of surface treatment has lots of great advantages compared with other alternatives:
- Leave a shiny, glossy finish that increase visibility in indoor areas like warehouses and factories
- Provides a strong surface that is resilient to wear from continuous heavy traffic
- Installed quickly and easily without needing any layout, adhesive cutting or special equipment
- Last a long time and can be cleaned easily
- Best surface treatment for industrial warehouses and facilities
- Resistant to water and oil stans
- Create a perfect surface that last many years
- Can be mixed with colours to mask cracks and chips
- Surface is chemically resistant making it perfect for manufacturing facilities
- Anti-slip additives make it safer to use
- Can be applied in such a way that it creates patterns that can be used to identify different areas.
- Requires basically no maintenance
As you can see, there are plenty of great reasons to use epoxy flooring solutions when treating your cement surface. They offer the best performance and durability, allowing you to maximize efficiency in your industrial workspace.